The Association's 5th Annual General Meeting will be held virtually on April 8, 2021.
Call for resolutions
The call for resolutions has been extended. All resolutions for the 2021 Annual General Meeting (to be held on April 8, 2021) must be submitted through the online submission form by 4:30 pm on March 1, 2021.
Topics for resolutions
The Association invites members to submit resolutions that advance its mission, vision, values and strategic goals for consideration at the annual meeting. Resolutions are written motions at an annual meeting of members that request voting members to consider future action on an issue or topic.
Criteria for resolutions
Resolutions must be submitted through the online submission form using the Association template and include the following:
- Motion, starting with “BE IT RESOLVED THAT…” (i.e., no “Whereas”)
- Name of submitter and registration number, must be an Association member
- Rationale (explaining the reasons behind the resolution)
- Relevance to the Associations mission, vision, values and strategic goals
- Estimated resources required (if applicable)
- Expected outcomes (if applicable)
- Supporting evidence including references (if applicable)
Any Association member may submit a resolution throughout the year up to six weeks before the Association annual meeting of members. Members may indicate whether the resolution is to be considered by the board of directors or by membership at the next annual meeting, if the deadline is met.
Sequence of activities
- The Association governance committee will review the submission.
- The Association governance committee may work with the originator by:
- editing the resolutions for clarity, legality, correct form, etc., without changing the intent
- suggesting a collaboration with other originators should their resolutions address the same topic
- suggesting alternatives for action where the apparent intent can be accomplished in a quicker, more effective or less costly way
- Once the resolution is reviewed by the governance committee it will be provided to the board of directors for approval.
- Once the resolution is finalized, it will be posted on the Association website and distributed on site at the annual meeting of members.
If the deadline is not met, the resolution will be deferred for board consideration at a future meeting.
Presentation at the annual meeting of members
- Only Association voting members have the right to move, second and vote on resolutions at the annual meeting.
- The chair of the annual meeting will report on all resolutions received and the disposition of each resolution according to the following criteria:
- The order of the presentation of resolutions will attempt to provide debate on a range of policy issues
- The time allowed for debate will be at the discretion of the chair if the time given for debate can be reasonably expected to limit the number of resolutions that can be discussed on the floor
- Any resolution not debated at the annual meeting will be dealt with by the board at a future meeting
Disposition of resolutions passed at annual meeting
- The resolutions passed at the annual meeting are not binding; they are advice to the Association board of directors.
- The board of directors has a fiduciary responsibility to review the passed resolutions, review the executive director’s interpretation of them, and give direction to the executive director in light of the Association's mission, vision, values and goals.
Click the file below to download the fillable resolution template. Please complete it and submit through the online submission form found below.